On this Valentine’s Day, Brit Phillips DDS has some “kissing trivia” for you.
- Kissing can cause cavities. If you kiss someone who may have bad bacteria in his/her mouth, their saliva could pass the bacteria on to you, thereby causing cavities. On the other hand, others believe that kissing may actually prevent cavities since saliva is the body’s natural way of cleaning the mouth.
- You burn 26 calories in a one minute kiss.
- The average woman will kiss 79 guys before she’s married.
- The average person will spend an estimated 20,160 minutes kissing in their lifetime.
- First Kiss. 50% of all people have their first kiss before the age of 14.
- Ninety percent of people in the world engage in kisses on the lips. People in other cultures, such as Eskimos, rub noses.
- Kissing Record. In September 1990 Alfred Wolfram kissed 8,001 people in 8 hours (over 16 people a minute) at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival.
- First Movie Kiss was when John C. Rice kissed May Irwin in 1896 and became the first couple to be recorded kissing in the film The Kiss.
- South Africa Bans Kissing. In December 2007 the South African government banned kissing involving anyone under the age of 16, regardless of consent.
- According to legend, any person who kisses the Blarney Stone in the Blarney Castle in Cork, Ireland, will be endowed with the gift of gab.
- Kissing at the conclusion of a wedding ceremony can be traced to ancient Roman tradition where a kiss was used to sign contract.
To keep your mouth kissable, Brit Phillips DDS suggests daily brushing and an annual visit for a check-up.